Friday, April 29, 2011

Chunk VI. How Does God Love You? (start from I)




God’s View/the Poet’s


In every literary piece, the writer always has a mouthpiece in a chosen character – here, it is God. What does he say? About Job’s friends’ view of Him: Job is right about me. “I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” 42:8 About Job’s complaints and questions, chapters 38-40 speak of God’s answers which can be summed up in


Were you there …?

Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? …

Who marked off its dimensions? …

On what were its footings set?…

Who shut up the sea behind doors?…

Have you ever given orders to the morning?…

Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea?

Have the gates of death been shown to you?

Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades?

Do you know the laws of the heavens?…



God is sovereign. Man is limited – especially in the concept of suffering. Job’s friends viewed their friend’s suffering as a consequence of sin (the only possible factor) - You must have done something terribly sinful to invite the wrath of God. While job was credited by God as closely correct – “Job is right about me” 42:7,8.

Still, He rebukes the latter – “Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?” … Were you there …? 38”:42 God’s unfair dealings with Job/his suffering, the latter did not comprehend.. What both Job and his friends did not know was God’s high purpose in allowing Satan to buffet Job?

No comments:

Post a Comment